Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Kid Has a Name!

So after many hours spent perusing the sometimes ridiculous babynames.com, much debate with and input from a few very close friends and family members, and more than a little changing my mind…IT IS SETTLED. She has a name. And it shall be…Finlay Adair Ramsey. Why, you might ask? Because I said so. (Getting my parenting practice now.) Actually, I heard the name Finlay on a TV show a few months before I got pregnant. I liked it. When I started making my list of possible names a few weeks ago, that was one of the first to be added. I then proceeded to add about 20 other girl’s names that I saw and liked. Finally, a week ago, I got serious and cut the list down to three. Surprisingly enough, it was pretty much the first three I’d started with. The deciding factor ended up being the meaning. I KNOW! I have no idea why I didn’t look that up sooner. Finlay (sounds like Finn-lee) is a Scottish name that means ‘Fair Warrior’, which is pretty much a perfect representation of the kind of person I hope and dream my daughter will be. I want her to be ‘fair’ in every sense of the word. Pretty, sweet, tolerant, just, kind…you know, the fairest of them all and stuff. But I also hope that she will be smart and tough and independent and passionate and willing to fight for what she believes in. A perfect balance. So, there it is. Finally. Can’t wait to meet Miss Finlay Adair.
And she may even have her first nickname! I told my parents her name the other day, and got pretty much the exact mixed response I anticipated. I believe my dad’s words were, it’ll take some getting used to, but that’s nice. Later Daddy and I were at my sister’s and I was recounting my mom’s reaction to the great name unveiling. I think my sister asked my dad what he thought, and he said, “Of what? Ol’ Finnegan Apricot?” Those of you who know my dad know that this is typical Steve Ramsey. But it made me laugh, and I’ll admit to thinking of the baby as ‘little Finnegan Apricot’ more than a few times since. So, perhaps we have a nickname, at the very least, a special story to tell Finlay someday about her Grandpa and her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment