Tuesday, April 12, 2011

About the last minute name change...

So, shortly after I found out that Finlay was going to be a she, I finally decided on a name. And I wrote a blog (The Kid Has a Name!) about how I came to that decision. Some of you may have noticed that once she was here, I changed my mind on her middle name. I thought I'd explain why.

It was around 8 or 9 pm on that Sunday that they confirmed that her heart was no longer beating, and around 2 am on Monday that they induced labor. Needless to say, I got zero sleep that night. My emotional state bounced back and forth from complete hysterical crying to a kind of shock and numbness. At some point early Monday morning,
 I dozed off for just a moment. Long enough to have the briefest flash of a dream. And in it, I saw my beloved Grandma, whom I'd lost a few years previously to cancer, and she was looking right at me, smiling the biggest, warmest smile. She was sitting in a rocking chair in my sister's house, and she was rocking my daughter in her arms. They were surrounded by what I can only describe as clouds. And it gave me a warm feeling. It was the closest thing to comfort I would feel for the next several days, as I labored in tremendous pain for 34 hours. Somehow I just knew that Finlay's middle name should be Irene, my Grandma's name. My Grandma was an incredible woman, more like a mother to me than anything else, and she always loved babies. I hope very much that she is indeed rocking my angel, her namesake, in heaven right now. And I can not wait to see them both again.

No comments:

Post a Comment