Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

• Overheard while on the phone with my sister this morning, who was home with her 2 and 4 year old boys: “No, nobody needs a screwdriver." Never a dull moment in that house.

• After picking up my 6 year old niece Haylee from school today, she said, “Mammy, I know how you can get some more money,” a recurring theme with her these days. Usually she tells me of some great job she’s decided I should get. One time she said I should go work at a bakery, so that I could bring home all the extra cookies for her. Last time she told me I should just go be a doctor. Today she says, “You can get a man to bring you some home from work.” Oh, if life were only that simple!

• Haylee is always full of questions about the coming baby. Today she asked me if they would be able to tell me if I am having a girl or a boy when we go to “look at the baby” in a few weeks at my next ultrasound. I told her yes. She then says, “But how will they know since it still doesn’t have hair?” Trying to avoid an outright anatomy lesson, I replied, “Well, how did you know that your brothers were boys when they were born? They didn’t have hair.” And she patiently answered, with a touch of exasperation in her voice, “Because they TOLD us they were boys. I REALLY wanted them to be girls, though. Can you please have a girl baby so she can play with me?” Doing my best, Doodle, doing my best.

• Still my favorite baby-related conversation to date was one my sister overheard between the kids at the breakfast table a few weeks ago. Haylee: “I want Mammy to have a baby girl.” Brayden – “Well I want her to have a boy.” Haylee – “WHY?!” Brayden – “And I want her to name him Iron Man! Everyone will probably laugh about that. But not Mammy.” If my own kid thinks I’m even half as cool as my niece and nephews do, I’ll be one lucky Mommy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment